Wednesday, February 20, 2013

The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey - Movie review


Last Sunday I finally got round to going the see the new Hobbit movie, and being a big fan of the LOTR trilogy, I was really looking forward to eventually seeing this film! As I’m already a big fan of the series, I admit, I have a slightly biased view when it comes to me telling you all that I thought this film was awesome! I like the fact that the films look was very much in keeping with the other LOTR films, yet it had a slightly different feel to it. As is with the books, the story of the hobbit is a much more light hearted story, which when written, was intended as a children’s novel. This light hearted nature comes across in abundance throughout the film, and the difference in feel to the films, really captures the difference in feeling between Tolkien’s books. Another thing I enjoyed about the film was that there were additional story elements added, which was not originally in novel. Some people may dislike these additional elements, but I can see their necessity, as they really help the film to tie in with the LOTR story. As a fan, I really enjoyed the fact that the additional elements within the film also allowed for some of the original LOTR cast to reprise their roles once again.

I won’t add any spoilers, so I’ll just add that overall I really enjoyed the film, as will anyone who enjoyed the LOTR movies. Also, given the light hearted nature, the film is far more family friendly than the LOTR, and definitely one I’d recommend for the family.

2 comments:

  1. The film has had both good and poor reviews, thanks for your take on it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think anyone who enjoyed the LOTR the first time around will enjoy this. Granted I don't think it's quiet as good as it's predecessors, as I preffered the darker feel to the LOTR. Being that the first lot were made a decade ago, this is perfect for anyone who has had children in that time, and want to get them into the whole 'middle earth' thing.

      Delete